Ingredients – Makes 10-12 shooters
- 3 oz by weight Lime Jell-o powder
- 5 oz boiling water
- 1 shot (1.5 oz, or 45mL) key lime juice
- 1 split (6 oz, or 180mL) total dry gin (Bombay Sapphire used here) + maraschino cherry liqueur (Maraska brand used here) + green Chartreuse, recommended ratio 2oz gin + 2oz maraschino + 2 oz Chartreuse
- Combine boiling water and jell-o in bowl, mix well to hydrate and dissolve powder
- Finely strain lime juice through mesh strainer into jello mixture
- Add split of liquor to mixture and stir
- Distribute mixture into 2oz condiment containers, molds, or other serviceware as desired
- Refrigerate or freeze until set, ~ 3 hours
So we have a fancy new Marvel ice cube mold, and we’re looking for a fancy shot. What better to do than a jello shot?
When you think of Jello shots, it’s typically something you do to batch out a lot of alcohol for a party- something quick and dirty that’s easy to prep and get the job done. Prevailing wisdom says they should either be boozy enough to want to shoot fast, or mild enough you only think you’re eating jello until it’s too late. But…vodka is boring. We reject those as the only options. If you have the bottles, why not make something amazing out of it?
So let’s go Hulk. Go green. Lime Jello, why not? Should it still be strong? (Well, it’s us, so probably). That takes us to….the Last Word.
The Last Word was first published back in 1951, as a sour made with gin (not whiskey), sweetened with maraschino and green Chartreuse liqueurs, and soured with lime, instead of lemon. It’s a fantastic drink in its own right, and comes out depending on proportion any number of shades of pale green. Tying that to the lime jello gets you an incredibly vibrant green jello shot with all of the depth of flavor of the original Last Word.
**By the way, we just submitted this recipe to Loot Crate for their Marvelus Contest in their “Best Shot” category! If you like what we do, please vote for this and our other submissions (tagged Marvelus here and Nerd.Bar) at this link.