Welcome back everyone to another pre-release drink series! This time, we’re covering the (absurdly large) main cast of Avengers: Age of Ultron. We’re winding down the series with the reality-altering Maximoff: the Scarlet Witch. We give her a slow sipper to help her relax.
Hex Blast Sour (Scarlet Witch)
- 2/3 oz (4 tsp, 1 tbsp + 1 tsp, or 20mL) bartenders/key/Mexican lime juice
- 1 Jigger (2 oz, or 60mL) total plum brandy, young or old + curacao liqueur (quality triple-sec recommended), (recommended ratio 1 1/3oz + 2/3 oz) ***
- 1 oz cranberry-ade (e.g. Ocean Spray 100% cranberry)
- Chill 6 oz sour goblet
- Add lime, jigger, and cranberry-ade to metal mixing tin
- 2/3 fill with ice, seal and shake
- Fine strain with both Hawthorne and tea strainer into sour goblet
***Note: Often labeled as Slivovitz. Palincka, Palenka, and other spelling variations can also refer to plum brandy or a number of other fruit brandies
Wanda’s had it pretty rough. She and her brother had to raise themselves in an impoverished Eastern Europe, pretty much on their own. Interviews with Elizabeth Olsen indicate she’s also overstimulated. She feels everything, she can’t not (well, a quote from the wrong series, but it still applies). Sounds like she could use a few friends (like the Avengers), or something to slow her down and relax a little bit.
Enter the Hex Blast. Our take on a Cosmopolitan, it uses plum brandy in lieu of vodka. Plum brandy (and other fruit brandies), while relatively uncommon in Western mixed drinks, has been widespread across Central and Eastern Europe, from Bulgaria to Romania.
A note on getting cranberry juice: Many bottles labeled cranberry juice are juice blends of cranberry and fairly neutral juices like apple or pear. You can also get unsweetened 100% cranberry juice, but it’s very, very tart and doesn’t get used the same way in drinks. Look for bottles with cranberry, water, and sugar.