Welcome back everyone to another pre-release drink series! This time, we’re covering the (absurdly large) main cast of Avengers: Age of Ultron. He’s fighting an army of robots with… a bow and arrow, so we have a summertime gin drink to keep Hawkeye ready in the nest.
EYE CAN’T EVEN PUNCH (HAWKEYE)
- 1.5 oz (45 mL) blackberries, about 5
- 1 tsp (5mL) raspberry syrup
- 1 Jigger (2 oz, 1/4 cup, or 60mL) dry gin (American, vegetal styles preferred, Hendrick’s recommended)
- 2.5 oz (75 mL) carrot juice
- 1 blackberry for garniture
- Set an 8oz general purpose tumbler
- Add 2 1-oz cubes of service ice to tumbler, set aside
- Skewer 1 blackberry to garnish, set aside
- Add blackberries to metal mixing tin, muddle
- Add gin and syrup to tin
- Seal tin and dry shake
- Fine strain with both Hawthorne and tea strainer into tumbler
- Pour carrot juice over mixture, allow to mix itself
- Garnish with blackberry
You have to wonder how Hawkeye keeps up. I mean, Tony has the best toys, Steve has the Serum, Thor’s an alien, Bruce has anger issues, and even Natasha had super-Soviet-spy indoctrination (and in some portrayals, some biotech augmentation).
He must be a health nut. We ran with the HawkEYE angle. After all, long-range shots require long-range sight. Plus, even in the Avengers Clint needed an eyeball, (talk about tunnel-vision).
It was time to look for an vision-focused libation. (not Vision focused, just… we’ll cover him later). Carrots were the obvious jump, juice being a more manageable format. Despite not actually providing superhuman eyesight, beta-carotene and Vitamin A from carrots can help prevent vision degeneration, which is better than nothing. Other eye-friendly ingredients included berries and green vegetables.
Raspberry syrup and muddled blackberries, along with the famous “cucumber gin”, Hendricks, rounded out the themed ingredients. The blackberry doubles as a garnish ties back to his connection with Black Widow.