Welcome back everyone to another pre-release drink series! This time, we’re covering the (absurdly large) main cast of Avengers: Age of Ultron. For the Black Widow, we go vintage, tweaking a recipe more than a century old.
Widow’s Bite Cocktail (Black Widow)
- 1 scsp (2 dashes, 1/4 tsp, or 1.25mL) Angostura aromatic bitters
- 1 Jigger (2 oz, 1/4 cup, or 60mL) total bonded apple brandy + Green Chartreuse + Benedictine (recommended ratio dry:sweet 1:1, or 1oz + 0.5oz + 0.5oz, respectively)
- 1 blackberry for garnish
- Chill a 4.5 oz cocktail goblet
- Skewer blackberry, set aside.
- Add bitters and jigger to mixing glass
- 2/3 fill with ice and stir
- Strain with Hawthorne strainer into goblet
- Garnish with blackberry
The first thought for Natalia’s drink was a play on the Widow’s Kiss cocktail. That drink, made with Calvados apple brandy, and yellow Chartreuse instead was published by George Kappeler back in 1895.
The Widow’s Bite, however, had to have a little more oomph behind it. I mean, this time around she has lightsabers or something. To give it a greater kick, switching to Laird’s bonded and green Chartreuse provided a proof boost, and a bolder, blunter apple flavor than Calvados’ delicate sensibilities.
Switching to a blackberry to garnish is a subtle, but visible throwback to Alianovna’s alias: Black Widow.